Lynne M. Cohee
Lynne Cohee practices land use, natural resources and environmental litigation, with an emphasis on administrative and judicial appeals. She has extensive experience in both state and federal courts. Lynne has particular expertise in water rights, water quality, stormwater regulation and other real property issues. She has also handled complex commercial litigation including breach of contract, software quality, and employment discrimination cases.
Lynne was selected by her peers for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America© in the field of Environmental Litigation in 2018 and 2019. She was named by Seattle Met magazine as a Top Lawyer in the area of civil litigation. Lynne has achieved the prestigious AV Preeminent® Martindale-Hubbell® peer review rating.
- Water Rights Litigation. Represented court-appointed receiver in adjunct quiet title proceeding to resolve competing claims to water rights. Represented property owner water right applicant in appeal involving mitigated water right. Represented private property owners and municipal water supplier in water right transfer appeals before the Pollution Control Hearings Board, superior court, and Washington Supreme Court.
- Water Quality Standards Litigation. Represented trade and business associations in Federal District Court litigation involving Clean Water Act human health water quality criteria for the state of Washington.
- Water Quality Litigation. Represented public and private parties in Federal District Court Clean Water Act citizen lawsuits challenging compliance with NPDES permits.
- Industrial Stormwater General Permit and Construction Stormwater General Permit Appeals. Represented industry clients in Clean Water Act NPDES permit appeals before the Pollution Control Hearings Board, superior court, and Washington Supreme Court.
- Commercial Litigation. Represented forest products company in a four-month jury trial in Federal District Court in Juneau, Alaska, involving claims for breach of contract, fraud and misrepresentation. Represented paper products company in complex software development and licensing dispute in Federal District Court in San Diego, California
- Puget Soundkeeper Alliance v. Department of Ecology, 191 Wn.2d 631, 424 P.3d 1173 (2018). Submitted amicus brief on behalf of trade, business and municipal associations in support of successful defense of test method used to monitor compliance with NPDES permit effluent limits.
- Cornelius v. Department of Ecology, 182 Wn.2d 574, 344 P.3d 199 (2015). Represented Washington State University in successful defense of water right changes enabling consolidation of wellfield operations on WSU’s Pullman campus.
- Skamania County v. Columbia River Gorge Commission, 144 Wn.2d 30, 26 P.3d 241 (2001). Appellate counsel for Skamania County in successful defense of county land use decision involving interpretation of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Act.
- R.D. Merrill Co. v. Pollution Control Hearings Board, 137 Wn.2d 118, 969 P.2d 458 (1999). Represented property owner in defense of water right changes enabling development of Wilson Ranch/Freestone Inn & Cabins in Mazama, Washington.
- Kottler v. State, 136 Wn.2d 437, 963 P.2d 834 (1998). Appellate counsel for forest products company in successful defense involving liability for joint tortfeasors.
- Brinson v. Linda Rose Joint Venture, 53 F.3d 1044 (9th Cir. 1995); Fuller v. Golden Age Fisheries, 14 F.3d 1275 (9th Circ. 1994), cert denied, 512 U.S. 1206 (1994). Represented fisheries company in successful defense against breach of contract wage claims.
- Friends of Snoqualmie Valley v. King County Boundary Review Bd., 118 Wn.2d 488, 825 P.2d 300 (1992). Represented developer in appeal of boundary review board decision approving City of Snoqualmie annexation.
Member, Washington State Bar Association, Environmental and Land Use Law and Litigation Sections
Member, WSBA Amicus Brief Committee (2015-2017, 2000-2001)
Member, Federal Bar Association, Western District of Washington
Member, King County Bar Association, Environmental and Land Use and Appellate Law Sections
Volunteer, King County Bar Association Neighborhood Legal Clinic (1988-1995)
Of Counsel, Hillis Clark Martin & Peterson, P.S., Seattle, Washington (1999-2000)
Principal, Hillis Clark Martin & Peterson, P.S. (1997-1998)
Associate, Hillis Clark Martin & Peterson, P.S. (1988-1996)
J.D., Cornell University, cum laude, 1988; Executive Editor, Moot Court Board
B.A., Whitman College, 1983
United States Supreme Court
Washington State Bar Association
Supreme Court of the State of Washington
U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
Board of Directors, New Beginnings (Board Member 2001-2007, Board President 2004). Vice President, Executive Board, Laurelhurst Elementary School PTA (2002-2005). Volunteer, Roosevelt High School (2009-2016).